Saturday, March 18, 2017

Shep Gordon's New Year's Eve Extravaganza on Maui 2016 - 2017

Dave Mason and me
Me and "Weird" Al Yankovic
There are many things to do on Maui New Year's Eve! You can enjoy a simple celebration with your own fireworks on one of our many beautiful public beaches (as of this writing they are legal) and watch spectacular fireworks at the stroke of midnight launched from a barge out over the ocean in Wailea and also Lahaina.  Sometimes the best things in life are free.  Plus we have great weather year round that help make our celebrations enjoyable and comfortable.  We are indeed spoiled!

Many Maui restaurants, bars, and hotels offer tickets for their private parties if you want a more intimate, upscale experience that includes dinner, dancing, and kick off at midnight.

My video shorts of the fun event.  You will see great actors and singers 
not pictured in this blog.  Watch to see who the surprise celebrities are.



Fergie and Lynda Carter
Steven Tyler
This year December 31, 2016 I celebrated by attending Shep Gordon's New Year's Eve extravaganza!  What a blast.  My bucket list item fulfilled.  It was pricey but well worth it for the entertainment.  They served light pupus at 7:30 pm and I do mean light, so be sure you have dinner before you arrive. The bar served drinks all night long.  The ticket price increased this year 2016/2017  compared to Shep's previous parties.  My ticket was well over $600.  I'm not sure how many people attended.  Perhaps it was a couple hundred?  I liked the fact it was not too crowded.  I felt it was the perfect amount of visitors.  There was plenty of space to move and dance.  I met  interesting people who tell me they make this event their annual celebration.
Who is this man? 
Does anyone know?


Me and Shep Gordon
If you do not know who Shep Gordon is check-out this entertaining documentary of his fascinating life "Supermensch" produced and directed by Mike Myers.  It is funny.

Many of the famous performers are local Maui residents. The event is a fundraiser for the Maui Food Bank and the Maui Arts and Cultural Center.  It is good to know that the price of the ticket helps our Maui community.


Me and Diana Krall
Me and Alto Reed
I had so much fun. It is one of the best events I have experienced here on Maui.  The celebrities sometimes sit in the audience to see the other entertainers perform.  I was able to meet a few during and after the show.

About 11:30 pm we left the ballroom of the hotel and headed to the rooftop of the Marriott hotel to experience the firework show over the ocean.  It was beautiful from above and I have seen it below in past years on the beach walk.

I created a short video of the event....Since I was dancing  and filming I decided to use a tool in YouTube that stabilizes the video it worked!  However, the words I typed are a little jumpy.  It took forever to upload to YouTube so I don't plan on fixing that minor issue.  I hope you enjoy the video and get a feel for the fun!
Alice Cooper and Damon Johnson

You never know who Alice Cooper's friends will be.  They keep it a surprise and mystery until the moment you are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment